BACKPACKING & WILDERNESS SKILLS COURSE
Yosemite National Park - 3 days
California Alpine Guides
a division of International Alpine Guides.
BACKPACKING & WILDERNESS SKILLS OVERVIEW
Looking to learn the skills to go out into the wilderness on your own? Perhaps you have long distance backpacking goals such as John Muir Trail? Learning from a professional mountain guide can drastically shorten the learning curve. A Sierra Nevada backpacking & mountain skills course that will teach you all the fundamentals of backpacking with instruction in wilderness and mountain travel skills.
Conducted in spectacular Yosemite National Park, we spend three informative days learning all the techniques to make you an efficient and safe mountain traveler and what to do when things go wrong in the wilderness. Instruction includes:
- Proper packing and lightweight gear selection
- Off-trail Navigation with map, compass & GPS
- Stream crossings
- Campsite selection and proper camp set-up
- Leave No Trace Ethics
- Backcountry cooking
- Basic wilderness first-aid concerns & Self Rescue
- Use of an ice ax for crossing summer snowfields
Along the way there will be plenty of time for enjoying the incredible beauty and quiet of the Yosemite wilderness. Nights are spend sampling great backcountry cuisine and reflecting on the days seminars.
This course is well suited for those with some previous backpacking experience looking to refine their skills or those who are starting from scratch.
SKILL & EXPERIENCE LEVEL
Good physical conditioning is required. No previousexperience is required.
Custom dates available June though October
- Breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner prepared by your guide while in the field
- Professional local mountain guides certified in emergency wilderness medicine, food handling & Leave No Trace Principles & trained in local natural history.
- Backpacks, sleeping bag and pad, trekking poles and eating utensils if needed
- Tents, all group camping gear and permits