INTRODUCTION TO BACKCOUNTRY SKIING COURSE
Eastern Sierra, Mammoth Lakes - 2 days
California Alpine Guides
a division of International Alpine Guides.
INTRODUCTION TO BACKCOUNTRY SKIING COURSE OVERVIEW
Looking to move beyond the Groomers and the crowded resort scene? Receive training from backcountry skiing professional how to earn your turns in the backcountry with an AMGA trained and certified ski guide.
Designed for advanced level resort skiers who are looking to try backcountry skiing and for new backcountry skiers who are seeking professional training. This two-day instructional course is front country based where you spend the evenings at a local lodging establishment (not included) and spend the days skiing the backcountry of the Mammoth Mountain area of the Sierra Nevada. Backcountry skiing training includes:
- Uphill skinning and track setting
- Downhill backcountry-specific ski techniques
- Backcountry safety and group management
- Avalanche awareness & terrain selection
- Intro to Avalanche rescue
We conduct these courses in the Eastern Sierra out of the Mammoth Lakes area...some of the best and most accessible backcountry ski terrain in California. Backcountry ski equipment rentals are available in the town of Mammoth Lakes.
Learn the art of backcountry skiing the right way and gain the confidence and skills to ski out of bounds on your own.
SKILL & EXPERIENCE LEVEL
Required skiing ability is advanced level on downhill or telemark ski equipment at a ski resort. Must be comfortable in un-groomed (powder and crud) conditions. No previous backcountry experience required. Very good physical shape required.
Custom dates also available from Jan through April
- Avalanche safety equipment including shovel and avalanche transceiver.
- Professional guiding and instruction from AMGA certified & trained ski guides.
- Lodging not included but we are happy to recommend a hotel