TEMPLE CRAG ALPINE ROCK CLIMBING
High Sierra, California.
Venusian Blind Arete (5.7)
Moon Goddess Arete (5.8)
Sun Ribbon Arete (5.10a)
TEMPLE CRAG ALPINE ROCK CLIMB OVERVIEW
Temple Crag in the High Sierra's Palisades region is stacked with more classic alpine rock climbs than anywhere else in the range. Historically Temple Crag was the stomping grounds of the old Palisades School of Mountaineering with many fine alpine rock climbing routes put up in the 60s and 70s on what are known as the celestial aretes. Much of the climbing is moderate in the mid-5th class range with some routes touching 5.10. Here are some of the classics we offer on Temple Crag:
- Venusian Blind Arete (5.7). A 12-pitch classic and a great introductory High Sierra Multi-pitch for rock climbers with some experience.
- Moon Goddess Arete (5.8). Just next to Venusian Blind. Another long classic
- Sun Ribbon Arete (5.10a) For experienced rock climbers looking to step it up on a long Sierra alpine rock climb. It also has a classic tyrolian traverse half way up!
We offer these special climbs as 2-day trips in which we hike into camp at beautiful Second Lake the first day and then climb our route and descend back to the trail head on the second day. Temple Crag is located just South of Bishop, Ca. in the Big Pine Creek area on the way up to the famed Palisades.
This climb is led by AMGA trained or certified rock and alpine guides who will be happy to share their many years of experience on the technical rock climbs of the Sierra Nevada mountains with you. Spending time with a qualified alpine rock guide is invaluable to safely devloping your alpine rock climbing skills.
We climb the Temple Crag climbs at a maximum guide to guest ratio of 1:2.
SKILL & EXPERIENCE LEVEL
Previous climbing experience on multi pitch rock climbs and the ability to quickly and efficiently follow face and crack rock climbs up to 5.8 in difficulty is required. Very good physical shape. No previous alpine rock climbing experience required.
Recommended prior courses and trips:
Custom dates from June through October
One person: $850
Two People: $550 per person
- Professional AMGA trained or certified mountain guides
- Breakfast & dinner prepared by your guide
- Ice ax, crampons, harness & Helmet
- Use of backpack, sleeping, bag & Pad if needed.
- Tents and all group gear